Our war memorial was erected in 1920 with alterations following the Second World War. Over the years the stone of the memorial has eroded and in 2010 some renovation work was carried out. Unfortunately the stone which was used to repair the memorial proved to be even less durable and, as the photographs show, the inscription rapidly became unreadable and the surface treatment, meant to protect the original stone, actually caused it to erode further
The parish council in conjunction with the War Memorial Trust decided that a replacement was necessary and a decision was made to have a replica carved. To do this the memorial has had to be removed and taken to the Sculptor’s Workshop to be copied.
Whilst the memorial is missing it was decided to replace it with a “There but Not There” Tommy figure. These figures have been used to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the ending of the First World War
The Parish Council is grateful to the War Memorial Trust which is funding 75% of the total cost of replacing the memorial, estimated to be just over £38,000.
We are also grateful to the Bamburgh Castle Estate and others for donations towards this work and also the Bamburgh Heritage Trust for contributing towards the cost of the Tommy figure.
The remainder of the costs, together with future professional maintenance costs, will have to be funded from Parish Council funds and donations. If you would like to make a donation please contact the Parish Council either via the village website at www.bamburgh.org.uk/localcommunity/about-parish-council/ or our clerk: Mrs D. Scott, Chatton Mill, Chatton, Alnwick, Northumberland. NE66 5RA
We hope that the new memorial will be in place by mid-summer.